Renovation of Ponds
In 2012-13, Neyyattinkara Municipality implemented a project ‘Construction of Protection Wall to Irumbil Pond’ using the Performance Grant of Rs.500000. It created greater environmental and social impacts. The project conferred great appreciation to the Municipality and the Officials. It was positively projected in all meetings and workshops. This has encouraged them to protect a number of other ponds in the area as this can go a long way in taking care of the drinking water and irrigation problems of the Municipality and provide a model for others to follow us.
In addition to this falling water levels in water bodies during summer, in particular the drying up of ponds and streams, have alerted local bodies to the importance of water conservation. In the vikasana rekhas of Local Bodies, almost all water scarce Local Bodies devote at least a few pages to the water issue, and the status of ponds. Almost all lament the degradation of local ponds.
In this circumstance, Neyyattinkara Municipality formulated another 7 projects for the renovation of ponds in different areas of the Municipality using the Performance Grant of Rs. 98,46,000 in the Financial Year 2015-16. The details of the project are as follows:
1. Renovation of Kokkidi pond in Athiyanoor Ward – Rs.1400000
2. Renovation of Mankottukonam Pond in Mampazhakkara Ward – Rs.1490000
3. Construction of SideWall to Korakulam Pond in Panangattukari Ward – Rs.1495000
4. Renovation of Thekkekulam in Athazhamangalam – Rs.1498000
5. Renovation of Valiyakulam Pond in Oorutukala Ward – Rs.1490000
6. Kushakottukonam Pond Maintanence in Plavila Ward – Rs.995000
7. Renovation of Kaithachani Pond in Muttacadu ward – Rs.1478000
The project aimed at conserving water by protecting ponds as all know ponds are more than receptacles of water. The activities include construction and repair of embankment and steps/ ramps, fix handrails and cleaning of ponds. The effort has helped in recharging a number of wells in the surroundings areas due to the increase in ground water table. Thousands of people are benefited from these projects as those ponds saved from water scarcity issues.